Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"I not silly."


Labels stick, and nobody likes them--even two-year-olds. I found that out, yesterday.

It was a typical Monday morning. We were all sitting at breakfast, eating our cereal before school. Jenny did something funny (as usual), and I said, "Jenny, you're silly."



Jenny stood up on her chair to command attention. With her most solemn face, she said gravely, "I not silly. I not crazy. I not funny."

I suddenly realized that for the past two years, she had been listening to every word we had all said. Jenny, our funny, crazy, silly baby, didn't like the labels we were giving her.

"You're right, Jenny," I said. "You are good and sweet and nice."

"Yes," Jenny responded. "I am a princess."

I couldn't have said it better, myself.

3 comments:

Katarina said...

Don't we love the princesses in our lives.
Lasr year when I asked my then 3 yr old niece what she4 wanted for Christmas she said "Sleeping Beauty, A castle and a Prince" So ok she was thinking in Mattel terms. Still I think princesses of any ages want a castle and a prince, and enough time for some Beauty sleep.

Sarah said...

what a beautiful, sweet princess. I love her!!!

mfk1022 said...

I love Jenny .She certainly sounds like she has her own opinions.Good Luck when she hits 16!LOL!!!!Just saw your aunt and Uncle on Broadway!It was an incredible show as usual!!Now I am back home trying to catch up with Christmas shopping!Merry Christmas!!!