Saturday, September 10, 2011

Jake's First Entrepreneurial Endeavor

Jake is a natural businessman. At age six, he was employing the principle of arbitrage quite effectively by making lucrative trades with a three-year-old--and Maia couldn't have been happier about it! At age eight, he was asking me for money instead of gifts for Christmas. At age nine, he started asking questions about the stock market. And last year, he asked for interest when I wanted to borrow some cash.

Last week was his first real entrepreneurial endeavor. He wanted a Nintendo 3DS, but he knew I wouldn't buy it for him. He looked through his drawers and tallied up his assets--an old Nintendo DS he got for Christmas three years ago and a used DSI from Christmas two years ago. So, he did a little research. He got me to take him to Game Stop and found that they would trade in games and the DS systems, but it wasn't quite enough. So, he decided to sell his DSI on Amazon. Five hours later, he was $65 richer. And with the DS and games trade-in credit, he was now able to buy the 3DS! I have to admit that I was impressed with his business acumen.

The only glitch in the system is that he priced his DS so well that he "sold" it two more times before we were able to take it down--so I had to cancel two orders and disappoint two customers. Here's one for the books, Jake: your first sale ever, ready to ship at the post office! I wonder what he'll grow up to be . . .

1 comment:

IzeOfLight said...

Nice! I had a paper route at 8 and was investing in mutual funds by 13, so I understand this kid--very cool!