Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pregnancy Cravings

Jeff and I are contemplating having another baby. Like most women, pregnancy is not my favorite time of life, so I have to REALLY want another baby to go through nine months of . . . well, you know.

But I miss pinching fat baby thighs and watching adults pull faces trying to get a laugh from a newborn. I miss the new baby smell and the tiny little feet. I miss the complete ridiculous euphoria I feel when I get my baby to laugh for the first time. So I think it's time.

Naturally, when I think of pregnancy, I think of being sick. And after four kids, I've tried just about everything to keep the sickness at bay.

I've tried indulging in my cravings. With Jake, it was imitation crab for breakfast, until a bumpy ride down a dirt road after inhaling half a pound of crab meat cured me of that craving forever. With Maia, it was everything. Food, food, and more food. With Lizzy, it was pickled ginger. And with Jenny it was Diet Coke. Some people wonder why Jenny is so hyper. Not me.

I've tried just letting myself get sick. I remember a particular time at Bagel Shack, when I ate half my bagel sandwich, threw up in the bathroom, and came back to eat the other half (much to the horror of my companions).

I've also tried medicine. Zofran is my best friend.

To keep my anxiety at bay, I'm on the search for the perfect stomach soother. But until then, I'm keeping my Zofran close and my Diet Coke closer. And I'm crossing my fingers that soon I'll be able to pinch that baby fat and cuddle that bundle--and still sleep through the night.

4 comments:

Kathlyn Osmond said...

It's good you have the comment moderation on because you could get some pretty interesting comments on this post. I'd make one but then you wouldn't post it. Ha! Do you have an announcement to make yet?

Franki said...

I remember the weird cravings. With my first son it was liver sausage and pickle sandwiches on white bread - couldn't get enough!!! With my second son it was PBJ sandwiches and mac and cheese - always together!!! Those were the days!! Ha!

Anita said...

I only had the one daughter and felt sick (but was never sick) the whole 9 months. I found ginger cordial or ginger biscuits helped. Never heard of pickled ginger though! Good Luck xx

Kathlyn Osmond said...

When I was expecting you, all I wanted was cottage cheese. We were living in Manning apartments in California. Your dad went to the grocery store and bought a refrigerator full of cottage cheese and the next day I couldn't stand even the thought of cottage cheese. Ha!