Friday, August 13, 2010

Feeding the Deer at Bryce Canyon

On our way back from visiting Grandpa and Grandma Osmond last week, we stopped at Bryce Canyon with all the good intentions of going on long day hikes, exploring the wildlife, and spending all day outdoors. Unfortunately, it rained almost the whole time!



The good news is that we found an amazing wildlife museum tucked away in Bryce Canyon. It was run by a man who had spent 44 years of his life hunting and stuffing 799 of the 800 animals featured there. Jake thought it was really amazing. Maia came out and said, "Mom, I feel bad for the animals!" I could sympathize with both of them.


While we were there, we were able to feed the deer, which was one of the highlights for everybody!



The only glitch in the plan was that Jenny started eating the deer feed. I about came unglued! Jeff tried to remind me that it was just corn, but I couldn't stomach the idea of Jenny sharing spit with the wild animals. Luckily, she didn't get sick.



At the end of the day, the sky cleared up enough for us to take a quick little hike at one of the lookout points. Lizzy said she needed to go to the bathroom there, but once she saw the port-a-potty, she decided she could wait (and she did, for hours!)



Bryce Canyon certainly is a beautiful area, and the scenery is breathtaking.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Looks like fun!
I am envious that you all have sleeves on! It is soooo hot in MS. right now it's ridiculous! Can't wait to wear a sleeve again! ;)

Anita said...

Lizzy is a girl after my own heart - I hate those porto loos too!
Looks like you had a great day despite the weather and it's always lovely to feed the animals

mfk1022 said...

Hi Amy I miss your blog!Today my son starts high school and my other son starts 5th grade.My husband just left for work so I am going to sit , read the paper,put your cd on and relax all morning.AHHH peace and quiet at last!Don't suppose I could talk you into making another cd? Hey I had to try !Have a great day!