Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Little Mermaid at the Tuacahn!

Jeff, Jake, Maia, Lizzy, Jenny, Hailey, and I have been staying in St. George for a couple of days. This is our first family trip--ever!--that we have taken by ourselves. We have taken lots of trips together, but we have always gone to see extended family or friends.

Tonight, we went to see The Little Mermaid at the Tuacahn amphitheater. It was a slam dunk! I liked the extra songs and changes in the play. But watch out for a little bit too much girl power at the end. In the play, Ariel kills Ursula with the trident, and King Triton says that Eric doesn't need his permission to marry his daughter. She can decide that for herself. Although I certainly appreciate feminism, whatever happened to good old-fashioned manly heroism? It tainted the play for me. But the kids didn't notice :)--they loved it!






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that you don't have to tamper with everything just because it's politically correct. The original ending can invite discussions about heroism, gender-roles etc, etc, but it really should be up to the parents.
But apart from that it sounds like you had a great time!

Malin Lindqvist

Ralph & Debbie said...

I think i kinda like the fact that she is allowed to make her own decisons and in todays world who really asks for parents permission. Ive always felt it should be up to the people getting married. But ive not seen the play but would certainly like to next time im in the area.

Anonymous said...

I think it is wonderful that the King empowers her daughter to make her own decisions!

Anonymous said...

Empowers "his" daughter!

Amy Osmond Cook said...

What a great debate we have going on here! I hope I adequately expressed that I am all for empowering women. I just didn't like the trite and unartistic way they changed the show. It left Eric's character flat and uninteresting, too. If anyone goes to see the play, let me know what you think!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Amy. I haven't seen the play, but the play's ending sounds like the product of an extreme agenda.

I think it's great that women today often feel empowered, but sometimes we go so far on the feminist agenda that women lose some of what makes them feminine.

It's great that Ariel was able to kill Ursula, but what was Eric doing? Why wasn't he out there? Isn't a man supposed to protect his loved ones? Did the play really need to be rewritten so Ariel was fighting the battles?

And call me old fashioned, but I like the idea that a man would be thoughtful enough to ask the parents' permission to marry their daughter. I think it's sweet. And call me modern (or hypocritical), but I might just encourage a young couple to consider eloping if the parents withheld their consent. :)

I'm glad your kids didn't seem to notice any of this. There's plenty of time to tackle these issues as they get older.