Sunday, October 17, 2010

Another bathroom story . . .

A couple of people commented on my last post that they wanted me to share my embarrassing bathroom story (now I know who you are, Anonymous!). At the risk of not being able to show my face again, here it is.

Two years ago, I was playing the violin for a benefit concert in Oceanside, CA. There were a variety of performers there, and I was scheduled to play the theme from Schindler's List and Orange Blossom Special. I had to go to the bathroom but thought I could wait.

The performer right before me was a pianist with a comedic streak. He had the audience in stitches, and he seemed to be enjoying himself--I decided that I could risk going to the bathroom quickly without missing my cue.

I ran to the bathroom with my violin, but there was no counter to lay my violin down upon. So, the next best thing was to lie it on the tile floor in the stall, right in front of the toilet. I was afraid of the germs on the toilet seat, so I gathered up my floor-length dress and squatted above the toilet seat.

I'm not sure whether I was in too big of a hurry or whether the gathered skirts messed up my aim. But for whatever reason, I completely missed the toilet and peed directly on my violin!

With a gasp, I corrected my aim and finished the job. Then I picked up the violin and gingerly wiped up the mess with toilet paper. With a quick wash of my hands and a quick wipe-down of my violin, I was back in the concert hall in no time and still had plenty of time to spare.

The violin seemed no worse for the wear--but if you ever notice a faint smell when I play, you'll know why ;).

Here's a link to the performance right after "the incident." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylm7wnAQgwI

4 comments:

FrenchCorinne said...

;-)
You looked so serious when walking up on stage, nobody could guess what had happened to your violin, LOL.
Thank you so much for sharing that link. I didn't know if you still performed, and I'm so glad you do, because you're very talented.
Best greetings from France.
Corinne

momrock said...

Thanks for the laugh, Amy.

Sarah said...

How is it possible that I haven't ever heard that story? hahaha!

KayRenee said...

Hi Amy, I got a huge kick out of this. Watching the video, seeing you so poised, beautiful and playing a flawless, amazing performance - and knowing what happened just before you took the stage is hilarious!! The theme to Schindler's List was beautiful. It was also a treat to hear Orange Blossom (didn't know that was the name of it till your post) because I have a Branson "Best Of" tape of Osmond performances and you're on the tape at the age of 16 playing that. It's brilliant! You are amazing and I'm so glad you are still performing! Congrats on the announcement that you're having a baby girl, I'm so happy for your family. I love reading your blog, your kids are so adorable - I look forward to all your entries!