Monday, July 19, 2010

Lizzy's First Crush

I always wondered when my daughters would get their first crush. Maia is eight, and I've been waiting for it to happen for a while now. Little did I know that my three-year-old, Lizzy, would beat her to the punch.

Lizzy's crush is her swim teacher, Brandon. Brandon is an eighteen-year-old boy with a deep tan, broad shoulders, and white smile. All of the moms at the pool agree with Lizzy--he is cute.

Every time we go to the pool for swim lessons, Lizzy says, "I think I have my same teacher." And she lights up when she walks in and Brandon says, "Lizzy!" She was sorely disappointed last Thursday when I took her to a make-up class and Miss Heather, not Brandon, was there to greet her.

Today, she was really looking forward to seeing Brandon, whom she called "Brownie."

"I think Brownie is my teacher today," she said.

"I think you're right, Lizzy," I affirmed.

Lizzy absolutely glowed as she saw Brandon and flitted her way to the shallow end of the pool in her favorite swimsuit--a hot pink, ruched suit with a bow at the top. With the demure look of a girl in love, Lizzy approached the pool and said, "Last time I had a different teacher. I like YOU."

Surprised but pleased by the assertiveness of my little girl (who doesn't love a woman who knows what she wants and states it clearly without apologies!), Maia and I left the swim area to make a quick run to 7-11 for Slurpees. We came back to get Lizzy 20 minutes later.

When we picked up Lizzy, we said the customary "good job swimming," and she responded: "I had my same teacher."

"Do you love your teacher?" we asked.

"Yes," was her unabashed response.

"Do you want to marry your teacher?" we teased.

"Yes," she again said confidently. "Next week."

Perhaps Brandon will still be an available bachelor in 25 years, when Lizzy is allowed to date. Regardless, Brandon the Swim Teacher will go down in history as Lizzy's first love, the one she would do anything for--even jump in the pool, head-first.

5 comments:

mfk1022 said...

Amy,
I have a question for you.What exactly is the Interdisciplinary Studies department.I have never heard of it. thanks have a great week.Fran

Unknown said...

LOL. Now that's funny.

I had crushes too when I was a kid, but I don't think I was that young. Maybe when I hit middle school.

25 years, huh. I think I would tell my children(when I have them), you won't date until you're 30. LOL Hey. I'm 30 and I haven't went on a date yet.

Sarah said...

Wow, she is going to be a heartbreaker!!! Watch that one closely :) So funny. I can just imagine her big brown eyes flirting with him.... 3 going on 30 :) good luck!

mfk1022 said...

Hi amy,
Your mom posted a story about how you guys practiced your music lessons which made me wonder Do you still get to play the violin? You are a beautiful player.Whenever I actually have some down time alone without someone screaming MOM! I love to sit and relax with your cd playing.Even though it's a Christmas cd I like to listen to it all year!

Amy Osmond Cook said...

Dear MFK,

Interdisciplinary studies is a very generalized degree. It takes the best from each discipline and gives students a broad overview of the field of academics. For example, a student of interdisciplinary studies might take a class on organizations (like ones I teach) and view organizations through the lens of economics, psychology, communication, and organization studies. A class on epistemology would focus on what types of worldviews different branches of science assume. And thank you very much for your sweet comment about my CD!