Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Talk

This week, Jake and I had The Talk.

You know, the one that all parents dread, the one that kids laugh about to each other, the one about how babies are made.

I didn't plan on having the talk, but Jake was ready. On our way to swimming lessons on Tuesday, Jake said,

"Mom, I think it's time to have the talk."

"The talk? You mean the one about how babies are made?"

"Yes. Jason [his cousin, also age 10] told me it was time. I asked him a question, and he said, 'I think you should ask your mom that.'" I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with Jason.

Trying to get out of it, I said, "Why don't you ask your dad that?"

Jake said, "I feel more comfortable having you tell me about it." Darn.

"Okay," I said. "Let's talk."

"I also heard there was a video. Jason said we should watch a video. But I heard that it was kind of bad."

"Bad?"

"Yes, like there was . . . umm . . . nudity in it."

I suppressed a smile, and said "oh." That was the end of Tuesday's conversation. But on Wednesday, I decided to go for it.

"Well, Jake, are you ready to have the talk?" Maia and Lizzy had just walked to the Ole Hanson pool to their swimming lessons and Jenny was asleep in the car, so Jake and I were free to talk.

"Okay."

"Okay, here goes." I said a quick prayer--because I certainly needed the help. And I wanted Jake to know that sex was something beautiful, not shameful, and that it was part of God's plan.

So we launched into it. The reasons for sex, the reasons to wait until you're married, why hormones are normal, and how it works. I tried to keep the conversation as simple as possible, asked Jake a few questions, and tried to make it conversational. I wanted Jake to know that he could ask me anything and that I would answer it honestly.

After I finished telling him how it works, Jake was done. "Umm, I don't want to know anymore," he said.

"Oh, okay." So I waited for him to say something. 30 seconds . . . 60 seconds . . . 90 seconds . . . but he sat there staring into space, completely expressionless. I could tell that the wheels were turning, and he was trying to figure it all out.

Finally, I rubbed his hair and said, "You okay, Jake?" He looked at me and said, "Yes. I'm okay."

We had 20 minutes left before his swimming lessons, so I said, "Is there anything else you want to ask me?" I guess he figured he'd heard it all, so he said, "Mom, why did you and Dad get divorced?" I did my best to be noncommittal on that one. Then he said, "How's our budget, Mom? Do we have enough money?"

Three huge topics in one half an hour. I was exhausted, but Jake was smiling at the end of 30 minutes. As he got out of the car for his swimming lessons, he smiled and said,

"Thanks Mom. I feel a lot better."

Whew.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My mother and I never had that talk when I was kid, but I guess she didn't have about me being active. Well I don't remembered asking about that, but I did have an aunt who always brought it up. LOL

I did talked to my mother about she and my father divorcing when I was 12. It really hurt back then and being 30 today it still hurts my heart talking about it.

Great post, Amy.

mfk1022 said...

Having had the talk with my son a few years ago I feel for you.After our talk he asked how much he weighed at birth I told him 10 and a half lbs.with a painful expression on his face he said." ow sorry mom!" Then he just kind of laughed.Now my 10 yr old he's not quite ready yet!Pretty soon though.The hardest question I have had to answer was why their brother died.It wasn't that they asked me it's just it took a lot of soul searching to find the answer.Which I had to finally admit to myself more than to them that I don't know and I just have to trust God to give me the answer when I am ready for it even if that's not until I am with him again!!It doesn't bother me when people ask about him but every once in a while there is an unsettling feeling when I think about him usually around his birthday or the day he died.I think I can answer almost any thing they can come up with to ask me! If I don't know the answer i tell them i don't know and we will try to find a suitable one together

Stacy said...

Wow, a lot to get hit with in one day!! I only have two children but was blest to have a son and daughter to experience! I found as they got older, asked questions, experienced different situations the more 'matter of fact' and 'unemotional' I could be the better!! Of course I would later freak and have a major melt down!! LOL... Thankfully my husband was and still is the calm after the storm!
Kids are now almost 23 and 24, everyday that they are NOT on the Dr. Phil show is a good day!! LOL... I guess we did some things right after all!!

Good luck! Sounds like you are doing a marvelous job so far!! :)

Hilary said...

Do we have enough money, HILARIOUS!!!!
How old is he?
We had it at 8'ish with my son, but we live in the bay area and sex is pretty darn rampant and we wanted to be sure and be the first (and I was pregnant, so that makes a nice "in").
I'm a labor and delivery nurse, so he's had a lot of basics since he was little but it's so important to just state it like facts, instead of some nervous drama.
Way to go. :)

Amy Osmond Cook said...

Thanks, Hillary! I'm glad to know it was an ok approach. How are you doing?! I love being able to catch up with you this way! How many kids do you have? Do you have a blog I can check out?