Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"I don't sink so."


My toddler, Jenny, epitomizes both what we dread and what we love about two-year-olds. Today, when I picked her up from playgroup, I said, "Jenny, say 'thank you' to Mrs. Ferguson for the playgroup."

"No," she said stubbornly.

"Jenny," I warned. "Say 'thank you' to Mrs. Ferguson. That was really nice of her to have you for the playgroup."

"No," she said again, and added, "I don't sink so. I don't siiiink so."

With a nervous laugh, I quickly excused myself from playgroup, vowing to teach my two-year-old better manners.



Also today, Jenny saw a "Sale" sign at the store. She brought it to me, delighted that she recognized a letter of the alphabet. "A, B, C, D, E, F, G!" She cried.

"That's right, Jenny," I beamed. "Good job! Those are letters."

But Jenny wasn't finished telling me about her amazing find. "H I J K LMNOP!"

"Yes, Jenny, that's right. Those are letters." As she worked her way through the alphabet, the decibels got higher and louder.

"Q-R-S-T-U-V-W--X--Y--Z!!!!!" She screamed the end of her ABCs. As I quickly shushed her, I couldn't help but laugh. She may have disturbed everyone in the store, but there was something beautiful about a child getting so excited about something as simple as the alphabet.



As I am sitting on the bed writing this blog, Lizzy, Jenny, and Maia are in the bath--and things are going downhill.

"Mom!" Maia (8 years old) said just now, "Jenny's roughhousing!"

I guess I'd better go save the big kids from my toddler.

7 comments:

Stacy said...

The nice thing about bath time when my kids were little was the bathroom floor stayed soooo clean! That of course was because most of the bath water was spilled out during the nightly 'fun' ritual!!
Your Lizzy sounds like a cutie! Cute name too!

Kathlyn Osmond said...

I can't wait to see Jenny and all of you! These blog entries make me miss you all even more. Love ya! Mom

Stacy said...

You know I've got to stop posting in the evening when I'm tired and definitely start reading OVER what I've posted!! LOL...sorry wrong kid/name!! OK... Jenny sounds like a cutie and ALSO has a cute name!! ~Lizzy, I'm sure is JUST as cute along with your others!! :)

Enjoy every moment with them...the old saying of 'it's gone before you know it' is true! I SOOOO didn't believe it when I two in diapers at the same time!! :)

mfk1022 said...

Jenny sounds like your typical 2 year old!!!I almost miss when my kids were 2.Almost!Ha! Now they are 11 and 14.Each age brings their own set of wonders.My 14 yr old was at an astronomy class and was fascinated to be able to see Saturn's rings through the telescope!

Stacy said...

Hi Amy, I tried to post this morning, but I don't guess I was signed in! I will have to do better reading the post and stop posting at the end of a long day when I'm tired! Lol.... Your Jenny sounds like a cutie and also has a cute name!! :)

mfk1022 said...

I was just thinking about your degree and had to chuckle I am one of the most disorganized people in the world.I had many conversations with your grandma about it.She would be extremely proud of you and the focus you have on your children's education.I am sure she and your grandpa are smiling down on you right now!!!

Sarah said...

hahaha!!! sounds like Noah!